9th Month: Back in Douglas-Daly?!

 December 9th: Back to Douglas-Daly?!

This morning I arrived in Darwin at 4 AM. Completely exhausted I grabbed my luggage at the airport. Everything was closed and no buses were running yet so I decided to sleep at the airport. Last night Leanne from Douglas-Daly holiday park reached out to me and asked about my plans when I’m back in Darwin. I said I wasn’t sure as I hadn’t found anyone yet to do the west coast with. She asked me if I would be able to help out till they close the 21st. I thought about it and I decided this would be a good option for me to figure out my next plans but also because I really loved working there. I can’t wait to see everyone again! When I woke up around 8 I got changed and took the bus to Casuarina Mal. My normal before or after ‘airport stop’. I walked around here and did some errands. And then Leanne’s daughter named Sam picked me up from there as she was in town today. So nice to see her again! I was exhausted but as I knew Friday (today) is the busiest day of the week, I kept in mind they could probably use some help tonight. Sam dropped me at the same cabin I stayed at before. I felt home right away. Unpacked my stuff and walked to the bar. Lovely to see everyone again! Feels good to be back!


December 17th: HO HO HO!

Yesterday we had a Christmas party again. On Friday night we had a random party with the locals which was probably more fun than this one. But it was still nice! Leanne and Sam took me to the Community Hall where everyone was having a drink and preparing the food. A bit later Dan had to dress up as Santa and drove in the truck around the building and then sat on a chair to give all the kids a present. So funny as he had his beer right next to him and he was wearing sunglasses! The kids loved it tho and it was funny to watch. Later we had dinner with everyone together and then we left back to the campground. I’m pretty sure I’m gonna stay for Christmas as I still have not really a plan and because I like to be with a family for Christmas and they really are my family here!


December 25th: Merry Christmas!๐ŸŽ„♥️

Today I celebrated Christmas together with je family here and other friends and locals. We were with 25 people in total! They called it the orphans Christmas cause all the people who work around here come here as they don’t have family nearby. But it was amazing! They eat mostly cold food here as Its warm here but it was good! We had ham, Turkey, salad, potato bake, bread and prawns. I made some Dutch desserts which we call Arretjescake and it’s basically smashed Marie biscuits with chocolate which you put in the fridge. They loved it! Later one of them fell of his chair as usual after a couple of beers but not once, no he fell 2 times… Silly goose! Another man ended up next to the pool at 7:30 PM already and passed out. Every time we checked on him he said he was fine and it was pretty comfy on the floor๐Ÿ˜‚ So it was a different but fun Christmas! On Boxing Day (the day after Christmas) we had a chill day as some people were hangover. We fed the animals at Dan’s turf farm as he was away over Christmas and then we had a few drinks at Rixon where some other people work. Later we played games at the pub which was fun!


December 31st: HAPPY NEW YEAR!๐ŸŽ† 

Yes. I’m still in Douglas-Daly. I’m kinda stuck here at the moment due to floodings in the NT and Kimberleys. The plan was to leave the 4th of January with another French guy and go towards Broome and then head down the west coast, but it seems like we have to change our plans. Fitzroy crossing is completely flooded. The bridge is gone so you can’t drive to Broome anymore. Unless you take a huge detour over Alice springs which is insane and then you still can’t see the Kimberleys. So I decided to celebrate New Years Eve here. It was so much fun! I had to work but it was so fun as everyone was in the dance mood and games etc! At 12 I watched the fireworks for a bit! I served the Oliebollen I made which is basically fried dough. I added some caramel sauce cause that would give a sweeter flavor. Luckily some people liked them! The new year started well with a big tarantula… Man.. and someone just stepped on it barefoot ๐Ÿคฎ Great! Happy 2023!


January 5th: Last day in Douglas-Daly!๐Ÿ˜ช

And that’s it. My last day in Douglas-Daly has come to an end. And now for real. I decided it was time to book a flight to get out of this shitty weather and because they have a lovely new couple helping them now. I booked a flight to Adelaide and will see from there where I’ll go. I have a Dutch friend there I want to meet and that’s it. Tonight everyone came over to say goodbye and have a drink. We played darts and had a few drinks. They started a puzzle with Dutch wind mills 2 days ago and it has a 1000 pieces! So that actually had to be finished before I would leave but I’m afraid that won’t happen! But we’ve come quite far! Especially Sam did a lot yesterday! It was so weird to say bye to everyone. Now I knew it wouldn’t be easy to come back again. They’re like my family! Tony have me a piece of aboriginal art and I absolutely love it! So nice!! I’m so sad to leave this place tomorrow morning! Dan is gonna take me to town as he has to do his turf run which means we have to leave at 5:00 AM. After that I’ll pick up some camping stuff at my friend Kim’s house and maybe chat with her a bit. Probably I’ll go to Casuarina as well as I need to buy a few things!


January 6th: Last day in Darwin

Today was my last day in Darwin. I woke up at 4:30 to be ready at 5 as Dan would pick me up. He got here at 4:50 so I was happy I was ready to go. Put my work shirts on the table for the couple if they wanted them and then put my stuff in Dan’s car. We drove to town and I saw so many snakes on the road! I’ve never seen this before! Crazy! They tend to like the heat of the road but you won’t see that many in daylight! At our first turf stop the fork lift truck got stuck in the mud. Damn. Good beginning! But luckily we got it out after a while! After the 3rd run, Dan dropped me at Kim’s house. So nice to see her again! We talked a while and then I went to Casuarina to run some errands and Kim and the owner of the house told me I was welcome to stay or sleep there if I was tired. Kim had to work in the afternoon but told me I could join her and her friends for dinner later. At 5 I came back and one of her friends picked us up to go to a pizza place. There 3 others joined us and that was so much fun! Later they dropped me at the airport where I met one of the locals from Douglas-Daly who was flying to Brisbane! What a coincidence! Tonight I’m flying to Adelaide!

Comments