6th & 7th month: Douglas-Daly & New adventures!
September 13th: Cooking literally and figuratively ๐
Today I started at 7 AM again as usually and I opened together with Mariela. I finally made quiche today for the workers who stay here quite often and get lunch from us. I made a very big one and some smaller once. I really hope they’ll like it tomorrow for lunch! I used veggies, chicken and bacon and cheese and of course a lot of eggs! Leanne and Tony liked it as well! During my break between 12 and 5 PM I went for a run again with 38 degrees and then I cooled off in the pool! Apparently there was a wild fire next to the camp ground and that was pretty scary but our handyman Steve noticed it and called Dan, one of the other bosses from a turf farm, to fix it. It’s under control now luckily! This night there was a group of guys around 30/40 years old and one of them was paying with his ring all the time like Apple Pay. Isn’t that insane! I was totally amazed by it! So cool!! After work I went fishing with Leanne and Tony’s son and Nerida (new cook) and that was so much fun! Tony joined as well for a bit and raced by in his buggy! So funny!
September 15th: Pool Party and goodbye Mariela & Seb..
Today was the last day of Mariela and Seb! So sad they’re leaving! But they’ve been here for almost 4 months already which is insane! 4 months in the middle of nowhere without going to the city at all! Crazy! I wish them the best! But I’ll miss them so much!! Because it was their last day, of course we had to do something for them. Leanne ordered a cake with their names on it and we made a card with all the names of everyone here on it! So nice! As it was Friday today, which means it’s the busiest day because of pizza night, I thought I wouldn’t really be able to party with them, but Leanne let me go at 10:15 and that was so nice of her! I didn’t even ask it! So sweet! I quickly ate some pizza and put on my bathing suit and I was ready to go! We had an amazing pool party and had so much fun! My hair was totally full with rum and Coke but hey, it’s ok!๐
September 19th: Half a marathon done!
This morning I felt fantastic apparently cause I went for a run and just kept on going! When I hit the 10,5 k’s I decided to turn around as I would’ve ran 21 km then which is half a marathon! And I made it in less than 2 hours in this heat (35 degrees already in the morning!) I’m proud I made it! Of course I jumped right in the pool after that and later I went for a walk along the bush camp areas and chilled at the weire for a bit! It’s my favorite spot and I can get totally Zen here!
September 26th: Finally a bike ride!๐๐ฒ
Today it was Monday again which means I was off! I went for a run and did a workout with some weights in my room as usually and then I jumped in the pool. Mondays are also my cleaning and washing days so before I jumped in the pool I did that first. I also cuddled with the bunnies for a bit. I cooked as well for a few nights and later I found some old bikes in the bushes. Unfortunately they couldn’t be used anymore as they’re completely broken… so I asked Leanne if they had a spare bike and she told me Tony would have one. Tony fixed the tires for me and adjusted the seat and then half an hour later I was ready to go! I was sooooo excited! Finally riding a bike again after almost 3 months! It was very hot but I didn’t care at all as I had a little breeze! I biked 35 km with 40 degrees outside and everyone passing me opened their windows and yelled I was crazy! But I know that already hahaha! I just loved it!
September 29th: New PR!
Today I started the morning again with a run and little workout. Then a quick shower before work and at 7 I started and got everything ready for the day. In the mornings we blow all the leaves, clean the tables and pool etc, empty all trash cans, clean the toilets and feed the animals. At 12 I had my break and went for a bike ride. This time the wind was very annoying on the way back but I’ve got a new PR now! 41.2 KM in less than 2 hours! Proud I made it in this heat again! It felt so great! The last 10 K I had a quick stop at Rixon to say hi to the backpackers and they fixed my handles of the stirring wheel with some tape and then I went back. Tonight we had pizza night as it was Friday again but tonight we had a special: Chili-chicken! So nice!! We literally sold all the pizza’s we had! Never happened before since I’ve been here! Also- I realized I’ve been here a month already today! Isn’t that insane!!
October 2nd: Day Off!
Today I had my day off again as it was Monday and I went for a bike ride. After that I went for a swim of course and later I cleaned my cabin and did my laundry. Everything nice and fresh! Later I walked to my favorite spot (The Weir) again and this is my happy place! Hearing only the water flowing and the animals around. It’s the best! For lunch I made a yummy burrito with chicken and veggies. Yum! I also found snake skin today near our staff kitchen outside! Pretty cool!
October 6th: Thunder show!
Today it was Friday. Friday = Pizza night, Pizza might = busy night… or maybe not today?! I swapped shifts with Tiana so I worked from 11 till 4 so Tiana could bring her mom back to the airport. In the morning I went for a nice bike ride again. I took a quick shower and then started stocking up the store as usually. The rest of the afternoon I helped out in the kitchen. It was very quiet tonight which was crazy for a Friday but later some locals came in right before the thunder storm hit us. Big waterfall inside cause the roof here is opened on the side for ‘fresh air’๐ So the water was everywhere but thank god my cabin was dry!! ๐๐ป
October 9th: Day Off, or maybe not?
Yes. Today was actually my day off. I did a workout and went for a 15 k run in the morning and then I did my laundry and cleaned the cabin a bit. Leanne had asked me yesterday if I’d be willing to help with some cleaning as the inspection is coming on Tuesday and because I always like to work many hours. Of course I wanted to help! But I didn’t know what I was gonna be cleaning… apparently the pizza ovens needed a big clean and all the kitchen fans above the fryers were disgusting and needed to be cleaned with a steel sponge. Yeeks. Terrible. But hey, I just did it! 4 hours later I was finally finished with the kitchen fan! I’m not totally proud of the result, but everyone else was luckily. And I do agree you can definitely see the difference. Hopefully it’ll stay like this now if they clean it a little bit every month. Cause I would not want to do this ever again honestly. I’ve never felt so terribly dirty in my life! I took the longest hot shower ever afterwards! Later I cooked pasta pesto and after that Tony called me if I wanted to come to the front as he met a Dutch couple. How funny?! They were so nice and it was amazing to speak my own language one day again! They gave me lots of tips about Asia and other countries and flights! Amazing how this couple is jus traveling together around the world! Hopefully I see them tomorrow before they leave!
October 11th: too overdressed?
This morning I woke up at 5:30 as usually to do a workout and take a shower before work. I worked from 7 till 12 again and had to start at 5 again but Leanne said I didn’t need to come back cause she wanted me to go to the goodbye party everyone was going to. So sweet of her! I went to the pool and did my laundry and then I cooked some things for salad for a few days. I waited till Tiana came back from work and got ready so we could go together. Around 7 we got there and everyone was already there. I felt like dressing up after not wearing anything nice for 6 weeks already but apparently that was not a good idea as everyone else was still wearing their work clothes. Woops. I got many compliments about the wait I looked and I felt so uncomfortable! Would not do this again for sure! But the party was great! Good food, amazing watermelon punch (I had 6 woops!) and amazing company! Thanks for tonight guys!!
October 15th: Happy birthday mom! ♥️๐
Today was my mom’s birthday! Of course we had to celebrate that even though I couldn’t be there! My sister and I bought a clock I created for her with a family picture in the shape of a heart. She really liked it luckily! I went for a bike ride this morning and to my big surprise I finally found a snake on the road! It was a black-headed Python! Super Cooll! I worked from 12 till 5 and then from 6 till close and during my break I called my mom. It was very frustrating that everything takes a few seconds to arrive for both of us so you’re always talking at the same time. I think this is the reason I don’t call a lot with people back home… I miss them all so much but I don’t like calling when the connection is so bad! Lots of love for my mom though! Cheers to you!๐ฅฐ
October 16th: 6 Months away from home!
Can’t believe it! 6 months away from home already! Way longer than the actual plan but t for me definitely still the best decision ever! I don’t even know how I could think I could see a lot of Australia in just 2,5 months! That’s not even reasonable! This country is so huge and has so many things to see, that I probably won’t even be able to see everything I want in a year! But I’m gonna try my best! So thankful for all the people I’ve met so far and all the places I’ve been to. Here’s to so many more beautiful adventures! Living day by day, not worrying too much about what happened yesterday and not thinking about the future- it’s the best way of living life for me! This is me, whether you accept it or not!๐ I’ve got 2 weeks left only at Douglas- Daly park before I’m gonna travel again. Crazy how fast time passed! PS- I really alleen everyone asking me about my plans and when I’ll be back home, but honestly the answer will always be the same cause I DONT KNOS. So please try not to ask me about that too much!
Thanks for your understanding♥️♥️
October 23rd: Last week in Douglas-Daly!๐ฅฒ
Yes, the titel says it already- this week is my last week here already! Only 5 days left actually and then the big journey is gonna start… I was actually off today as it was Monday, but Leanne asked me If I wanted to work cause the cook wouldn’t be back till later afternoon as she went to town for her day off. Of course I was happy to help out as I was leaving on Saturday so I wouldn’t work more than 4 days otherwise. In the morning I went for a 15 km run and did a workout and then I started working at 12. Later Leanne asked if I could replace her in the evening so she could spend some time the lat night her daughter was here. Of course that was fine with me as well! Can’t believe it’s been 2 months almost since I got here! Wish I could’ve finished my 88 days here cause I love it so much! But I really want to go to the wedding and se my friends!
October 28th: Last work day!
I can’t believe it! 8 weeks are over already. Far away from town, being in the middle of nowhere, making beautiful memories, learning lots of new things and meeting the best people ever! Damn. What an amazing experience! Literally no words! I’m so lucky I met Leanne due to a Facebook post of a backpacker looking for a job. But if it’s meant to be it’ll be!! And so It did! I followed my heart and one week later Leanne (my boss) picked me up. She seemed so nice from the moment I met her and I felt like home right away! Her husband, Tony, is a great guy as well! He’s crazy but so is my dad, so I’m used to it already! So thankful for them and all the others I’ve met and made me feel Like home!
October 29th: Finally in the city after 2 months!
Today I finally went to the city again after 2 months! It felt so weird! I went to casuarina mall but I had to walk with a shopping cart all day cause I wasn’t allowed to leave my back pack anywhere. So that was very annoying! Still went to some stores and later I met my friend Jadene who lives close to the mall. I also dropped my camping stuff at my friend Kim’s house. Jadene and I walked around a bit and later chilled at her apartment complex and watch a bit of a movie. After that it was time for me to head to the airport in Darwin as the last bus was going at 7 already… so I’m gonna spend the whole night at the airport.. I called my best friend about our trip through Asia and tried to stay awake but later I couldn’t handle it anymore and fell asleep for 1,5 hour. Unfortunately I had to pay extra for my backpack as I didn’t book any luggage but this was the first time that happened… Tomorrow I’m gonna spend the day in Bali as I have a full day layover! Excited!!
October 30th: First stop- Bali for one day!
Today the journey began! The 4-day journey! Jees I’m worried about it but just going with the flow is all I can do… and try to enjoy my long layovers in Bali and Thailand… After a 2 hour flight I made it to Bali. The flight was alright but once I arrived at the airport it was annoying! Quite bad to wait a while and needed to pay for a visa on arrival whereas I was just transiting through so I decided to explore Kuta Beach which was near the airport. The airport was loaded with people offering Lyfts and that was getting me nuts! And my backpack was broken when I picked it up so yeah, nice start of the trip again. I cried… but hey, every tear can make you stronger! Later I met a guy who offered me a ride and he was not as pushy as the others so I decided to go with him. He charged me too much of course but I had no idea what Indonesian rupiahs were worth.. anyway, he dropped me at kuta beach and I walked all round there for a while. I sat a the beach but unfortunately I didn’t really like it cause there was sooooo much trash! Crazy! It was kinda scary even cause there’s were so many rolling coconuts there! I went to the mall to get some food and do some shopping but didn’t find any shoes or backpack I was looking for… later I walked back to the airport. Yes. I walked and don’t ask me why cause I was also wearing flip flops lol! But I just wanted to walk! Off to Bangkok now!
October 31st: Stop 2- Bangkok
Last night it was time to head to Bangkok. I was already at the airport 4 hours before but I was very very tired after I had some dinner. I called my hostmom for a few minutes to talk about the plan to surprise the kids on Wednesday and then I went back to the gate. I sat here a few hours and apparently I fell asleep without noticing it. I woke up because someone tapped me on my shoulder. It was a man walking by who just wanted to check whether I was missing my flight or not. JEES IM SOOOO THANKFUL HE DID THAT!! I woke up and realized boarding would’ve been closed by now as my plane was leaving in 15 mins! I figured out no one was here and saw they changed gates.. Man, i think I’ve never run that fast as then and 2 other guys who were at the same gate as me still ran as well! I MADE IT!!! Incredible! 1 minute later and I would’ve been too late! Can’t believe it! When I arrived in Bangkok I took the free shuttle to the other airport I was flying from tonight so I could drop my luggage there. Then I went to the city which was a bit complicated to understand where to go and how, but I made it! I got a haircut and feel totally new again! I walked 20 km around the city and did some shopping and the food is amazing here! I’m really in love with this country already and the people are so kind! I was very stressed to get back to the airport as the bus was delayed for 40 mins but I still had 3 hours lol! Off to stop number 3…
November 1st: Stop number 3- Manila, Philippines.
Made it to stop number 3! Not me being waken up by the cabin crew cause I didn’t realize we landed already and everyone left the plane. Woops! Well this is how tired I am.. I arrived around 4 in the morning and it was kind of annoying at the airport here cause we needed to wait til our luggage would arrive and till that time they kept our boarding pass because we had to transit through Manila. So weird! But made it! I called my parents for a bit and then updated this blog again! In 5 hours I’m heading to stop number 4. Pfff can I just be there now?! It’s gonna be terrible an 13-hour flight ughhh… Wish me luck!
At 12:30 PM I finally arrived in LA. Here it was still November 1st as I went back in time! I never had such a long flight and don’t think I’ll do it again soon.. (even though I have to for the way back!) but I’m happy I survived! I had 5 hours to wait after all security checks and then I had my flight to Vegas which was just 45 mins. Right now I’m almost boarding to go to my 6th and FINAL destination for the next 2 weeks: Philly! Super excited!!!
November 2nd: FINALLY IN PHILLY!♥️
Omg! I can’t believe it! I’m FINALLY BACK! Back ‘home’ away from home! At 6 AM I arrived after the last 5-hour flight! I was exhausted! Couldn’t think anymore and felt like I was so drunk, but hey, I was not and I told myself to stay awake till the evening so I could get used to the time better! I really wanted to use my last energy to surprise the kids again and also a friend I hadn’t seen in almost 3 years! I bought them a donut on the way to the city and after waiting a while I knew they were awake because the oldest one replied to one of my messages. They were so surprised and loved it! I’m so happy to see them again! It was definitely worth traveling for nearly 4 days! I helped getting the kids ready for school and then I went for a run. Man, this is still one of my favorite cities to go running! Soooo pretty along the River with all the fall colors and running up the rocky steps! Later I also surprised my friend Prenisha after not seeing her for nearly 3 years and she was shocked! Love it! I arranged it with her hostmom already a while ago as I knew Prenisha went back as an Au pair with the same family! We went for lunch together with Hendry and I hope to do something with them and Bereket next Tuesday. AND IM FINALLY 21 for the first time in the USA! Yeehooo so let’s party! But NOT today! Tooo tired!
November 3rd: Shopping day!
Today I helped with the kids in the morning and braided their hair for the school picture and then I went for a run again and did a little workout. When I came back went on a walk with Rusty and then I left to the mall to buy some stuff for the wedding weekend. I didn’t have any shoes yet… luckily I found some pretty easily but unfortunately not the ring I’m looking for… I found a nice card and my present arrived last week so that should be it! I’m very excited but a little stressed about the wedding. I know it’s gonna be quite fancy and I’m not really like that. But luckily I could borrow Prenisha’s curl iron so I can curl my hair! I cooked dinner and then played with the kids a bit.
November 4th: Let’s go for the wedding weekend!
Today I went to school with the kids because they asked me if I could go with them. From there I went for a run along the Schuylkill river as usual and did a workout at the skate park. I ran up & :down the Rocky steps 10 times and then I ran back. I took a quick shower and then it was time to get ready to leave for the wedding weekend. The girls had only a half day of school so we picked them up, had some lunch and packed the car and by 1:30 we finally left! A bit of traffic and one stop at the target for some shoes for Elin and at 5 we finally made it to Taneytown in Maryland where the wedding was gonna be tomorrow! I’m staying in the family’s house which is so nice and big! I’m sleeping in the same room as the kids but I’m honestly fine with that as it’s mostly just for sleeping anyways. At 5:30 they had a practice for the ceremonies and after that we went to the bar for a little welcome party. It was very lovely and so happy to see everyone again! Later I went back to the house with one of my hostmom’s other sisters and her son and Elin. Tomorrow is the wedding!!๐คฉ
November 5th: Wedding Day!
Saturday it was finally the day. The wedding day of Claire and Mario! So excitedddd!! It was a gorgeous and insanely warm fall day! I took the girls to the breakfast restaurant and it was nothing special but the food was good! Luckily they had a muffin for the kids! I went for a run after that while the grandparents watched the kids and Paige and her sisters were getting make up and hair done for the wedding. When I came back I did my own hair and the girl’s hair and I helped getting them ready for the family pictures. I’m so glad I could borrow my friend Prenisha’s curl iron! Unfortunately the curls weren’t as good as yesterday and they didn’t really stay in but anyway! I put on my dress and I felt better about it with my hair and make up done! I wasn’t sure about when I got it but apparently everyone else loves it, haha! At 4:00 Pm the wedding ceremony started. Such a beautiful location! And a beautiful day! Jana and Elin were the flower girls and they were such cuties! Sooooo pretty! Their dresses were white with orange and a green ribbon! As a gift for the couple I bought a heart shape glass light with a graved picture of them and the wedding date! It turned out pretty cool and I’m excited to hear there how they like it! The party was very nice and the food was good! Not too much and later when elin was tired I took her home together with their little cousin, Jack. Unfortunately the door was locked from the inside by accident so we couldn’t get in. The management wasn’t there so I climbed through the window and saved the day!๐
November 6th: time to go back to Philly!
Sunday morning I went for a run and after that I took a quick shower and then we had breakfast again with the family and after that the kids played a bit. Later it was time to pack everything and get ready to go back to Philly. What an amazing experience to be part of this wedding! I absolutely loved it! Such an honor they invited me! The drive home was long and we had a few stops for a snack and toilet break. We got home around 3:30 and then I played with the kids for a bit. Later paige went to the grocery store and went out with a friend and then I gave Elin a bath and then I made dinner for the kids and we watched a movie together.
November 7th: Nice fall day!
Today I woke up around 6:30 and took Rusty on a little walk. When I got back the kids were awake and I made breakfast for them and got them ready for school. Also prepared their lunches. They are off tomorrow so I reached out to some of their friends to ask If I should pick them up tomorrow morning and make pepernoten (Dutch gingerbread cookies!). The kids absolutely loved that idea! I went for a run and did the Rocky steps and a little workout again and then I took a shower, walked Rusty and walked to the city. I scored a few tshirts finally and some new sports bras and I walked around a bit and then headed back home. Here I called my bestie to talk about our trip in Thailand as we still had to plan a few things. I can’t believe I’m finally gonna see her again on Monday! After 7 months!
November 8th: No school day!
Today the kids were off from school because of Election Day! Because Rusty woke me up 3 times last night, I decoded to walk with him early and then I went for a run. I did e a little workout at the skate park and een up the Rocky steps 10 times and then I went back and took a quick shower. I Made pancakes for the kids with some sprinkles on top. Later we walked to the City all together to pick up their friends. They played at Paige’s house for a while and then I Made lunch and we all walked to Rittenhouse Square where we had a little picnic. Rusty dan around with the kids and later we walked back. We Made pepernoten (Dutch gingerbread cookies) because Its almost Sinterklaas already. The girls loved it! When they were ready I dropped Jana and Elin at Arjan’s house (my hostdad) and their friends back home. After that I met my friends Bereket, Prenisha and Hendry for dinner. We went to a taco place in Fishtown which was delish! It was great to be all together after so long! Only Karolina was missing but she’s in Poland and came earlier this year!
November 9th: Long time no see!
Today I did my morning routine again and went for a walm with Rusty. I did the laundry and had breakfast and then I got ready for this afternoon as I was planning to meet a guy I used to do track and field with as a kid in The Netherlands and I hadn’t seen him for many years (probably closer to 10 years!). His name is Devin. He’s studying in Chestnut Hill at the moment which is about 22 km from the city. He asked if I was willing to bike there so we could bike back to the city together through Wissahickon and I was totally in for that! It took me 1 hour and 20 mins to get to Chestnut Hill college and unfortunately I lost the bike key on the way but I made it and there I met him. So funny after all those years! But it was so nice talking to him and hearing about his adventures and sharing my own. We biked all the way to the city and had a drink there and then it was time for me to go as I was gonna meet Jasmine for dinner. Super excited to see her again! I was so happy to see how she was doing at her new home where she lived with a friend named Ariel. We talked all together for a while and got some food and then we went back to the house. Later I was so tired I decided to go home.
November 10th: Ejelins!
Today I didn’t my daily routine again and after that I took Rusty for a walk and I went to the city. Here I met Bereket and Prenisha at the gym and they got some breakfast on the way and we walked to Prenisha’s house. Here we chatted for a while which was very nice! So sad to leave on Saturday already! I got rid of some clothes I didn’t need anymore and then I went back home. I walked over to Arjan’s (my host dad) and dropped the bike I borrowed and then I cooked dinner. The girls favorite dinner: Ejelins! Or I better say salmon-spinach turnovers. They call them Ejelins (Elin, Jana & Lieke)! When the kids got back home they were very excited to see me and to see what I was cooking. Later Marlow came over, one of Jana’s friends, and she also loved the Ejelins! I also made some Appelflappen (apple turnovers) for dessert! I did a girls night with Elin while Jana had a sleep over with Marlow. We watched the movie Zombies 3 which was fun!
November 11th: Last day in Philly๐ฅบ
Today was my last day in Philly already! 10 days flew by way too fast. Can’t believe it! I really wish I could stay longer! Love it here! But unfortunately I’ve got other exciting plans awaiting in Asia. The kids were off today again because of Veterans Day so I took Rusty for a walk and went for a run and then I walked over to Arjan’s and picked up Tea (Elin’s friend). Tea and elin and Jana and Marlow played together for a while and then I made lunch for everyone. Marlow left and I played outside with Jana. Later we walked over to Paige’s house. I made hot chocolate for the kids and they loved it! For my last dinner in Philly, my host mom ordered sushi. Delicious! Even Elin loves sushi! But only the ones with avocado tho! Little goofy๐ Later we watched the movie ‘Spy next door’ and that was fun! After that it was time for my last ‘funny thing’ for the kids and go to bed. Mr Rusty decided to sleep in my bed again…
November 12th: Bye home!๐ฅฒ
Today is the day. Time to say goodbye to my home away from home. Not family by blood but by heart. Can’t believe how fast 10 days flew by. Wish I could stay a few more weeks… but it’s time for the next adventure! It was pretty hard to say goodbye again. The kids kept asking why I had to go already… Not me crying all the way to the airport in the Uber… woops. I miss them already!!! My first stop is Dallas where I arrived in the afternoon. Later I flew to Los Angeles where I arrived at 3:40. Now I’m waiting to board the longest flight I’ve ever had in my life… to Manila. A 15,5 hour flight. Wish me luck please!๐ค๐ผ
Comments
Post a Comment