5th Month: More travels & new job!

 August 14th: Let’s begin the big journey to Darwin!

Today was my last half day in Cairns. I woke up at 8 as it was a bit late last night with the fireworks and we went out but it was amazing! I decided to pack my stuff together and then I chilled at the lagoon for a while. Later I called my parents as it’s still so annoying with the health insurance I have and so much trouble. I just want to be done with it.. Apparently not as easy as I hoped… At 3 PM I had the bus to Townsville. Just a 5 hour ride so completely fine! I stayed in the same hostel as before and I met a girl on the bus who was also going there and had to leave the same time tomorrow morning for the bus to Tennant Creek. That was so nice that I met her! She’s from England! We were so tired we just grabbed our keys out of the locker and ate something and then we went to sleep…


August 15th: Longest bus ride ever…🥲

Today I had to take the bus to Tennant Creek at 6:00 AM. So I woke up at 4:30 as we had to walk to the bus stop as well with all the stuff… I met Hannah (the English girl I met last night) at the front door of the hostel and together we walked to the bus stop. There the bus was already waiting for everyone so that was good! Sometimes they’re late… Today was probably the worst part of the bus ride cause it was 46 hours in total to Darwin and yesterday I had 6 but today it is 20 hours till Tennant Creek. I’m pretty worried but I’ll see how it goes! We made a few stops along the way and at Mount Isa we had our dinner stop. I went to the store to buy some fruit and snacks for the rest of my bay ride and then I had dinner with Hannah. At 1 AM we arrived in Tennant Creek Here we had to wait for another bus coming all the way from Alice springs cause some people from my bus are going there and others go north to Darwin. Hannah was going to Alice springs so here I had to say good bye to her unfortunately! From Tennant Creek I still had 14 hours to go to Darwin. Wish me luck…


August 16th: Finally in Darwin!

Yaasss! Finally made it to Darwin! After a 46-hour bus ride I was so excited to get off and stretch my legs without having to go back in the bus! I was so happy I made it that I dropped my stuff at the hostel and went for a run right away! I haven’t been able to go for a run 2 days now cause I was on the bus all the time… It was very nice but pretty hot outside! After that I took a shower and cooked dinner and then I was soooo tired that I couldn’t keep my eyes opened anymore after 8:30 so I went to bed very early tonight! Tomorrow I’ll explore the city better!


August 17th: Let’s explore the city!

Today I woke up early again and I went for a run. I did the same route as yesterday as I really liked that one along the beach! The few hills are a great leg workout. After that I had breakfast and took a shower and then I started to explore the city. I walked in the direction of Darwin Harbor and then all the way to Mindil Beach. After that I chilled a bit at the waterfront lagoon where I met another Dutch girl, named Kim! She is so nice!! Great to speak Dutch here every now and then cause I’m forgetting so many words already! Later I went back to my hostel and talked a bit with my roomies and then I was very tired and went to bed.


August 18th: Sunset Markets!😍

Today I went for a run and after that I had breakfast. After that I went to the lagoon for a bit and then I went to Casuarina Square, the biggest shopping mall in the Northern Territory. It was very cool but definitely not as exciting as I hoped! I walked around for a bit and then I met with my friend Jadene who I met on my tour in Tasmania. So great to see her again after 4 months! She lives in Casuarina (near Darwin) and we went to the Sunset markets at Mindil Beach and this was gorgeous and so much fun! Insane how many

People come here to see the sunset! So crowded! The food at the market is also absolutely amazing and you definitely have to try it when you’re in Darwin! I had Chinese food with noodles and veggies and it was amazing! We were also invited to have a look in a super fancy Party boat made by some guys during the lockdown. Amazing! After that  walked back to my hostel.


August 19th: Last Minute?!😅

Today my day started with a morning run again. It was very humid early in the morning already but still did my 10 k and went to the little fitness playground on the way back. After that I showered and had breakfast and then I had to check out and go to a different hostel as I just booked for a few nights and now it was fully booked at the YHA. I found another hostel luckily and dropped my stuff there. Then I went to a few companies to ask if they’re currently hiring people. I left my resume at a few of them but I have to wait for an email.. so annoying.. Back at the hostel I did my laundry which always makes me so happy! Everything clean! Love it! I also cooked risotto for a few days. Maybe I’m going camping with 3 others in kakadu this weekend. Well, a few hours later it was sure we were going camping. A guy from Darwin commented under my post in the Facebook group with the question if someone was going there. He (Matt) answered he was going for a weekend if I wanted to join. So of course I wanted to and also I asked 2 German girls from my room and they wanted to join too. So we bought camping stuff right before the stores closed! Woops!!


August 20th: Dirst Big Boy!🐊

Today the day started very early but nice at 5:30! Cause at 6:15 we would all meet at the grocery store (Woolworths) to go to Kakadu. Matt would pick us up here. I quickly went to the store as it opened at 6 and grabbed some food and water to survive the weekend. Probably no stores out there and not many things along the way. At 6:30 we left! I was sooooo excited! I really wanted to see kakadu!! It was a beautiful way there. We made many stops along the way AND… I SAW MY FIRST BIG WILD SALTY!🐊 So cooollll! We did a few hikes on the way to Ubir where we saw aboriginal rock art which was very cool! Later we were so sweaty that Matt purposed to go to Cooinda Lodge campground to sneak in and jumó in the pool as no one would care. And so we did! Amazing refresher! Then we drove to the Jim Jim falls campground where we are gonna stay for the night. We cooked pasta and said you our tent. Tomorrow we’re hoping to make it to Jim Jim falls… No 4 WD so fingers crossed we can get close to the trail!🤞🏼


August 21st: No words for Mother Nature!🤩

Last night we slept in a ‘3-person tent’ with three girls. But as soon as we got in, we figured out this was not actually for 3 people like it said on the box… more like 2 people.. we squeezed all in and tried to sleep but it was pretty hard.very early in the morning I walked outside with my sleeping bag and slept under the stars for the last 2 hours. It was the best thing ever! I am so amazed by the sky always and forever. This morning I went for a run and then we had breakfast together. The German girls (Mara & Lea) made oats sand then we drove towards the Jim Jim falls. The falls are not flowing at the moment as it’s dry season but the plunge pools have enough water and should be ‘croc safe’ to swim in… 3 km before the beginning of the trail we had to stop driving as the water puddle was to deep for Matt’s car. So an extra 20 mins walk, but it was definitely worth it! It was pretty hard with all the rocks but we made it and the pool was very cold but beautifull! After that we went to them Maguk Falls which were very beautiful as well!! And then it was time to head back to Darwin. On our way we saw a donkey family and a Bull!  Crazy!


August 22nd: Back to the city again!

Today I had to recover a bit from my weekend in the nature. At 6:45 I woke up and went for a run. It was very hot again! When I got back I made banana-oatmeal pancakes and this was delish! Later I went to some other companies to ask for available jobs but unfortunately with not much result. It really sucks the season is ending here cause that’s why there’s less jobs of course!! But I’ll find something! Otherwise I’ll just travel, but I really feel like I needy to settle down for a bit and I want to start my 88 days for my 2nd visa. I won’t give up tho! I said goodbye to my German friends and later I called my family back home.


August 23rd: Little sunburn?!

Today I went for a run again and after that I did a little workout at the fitness playground again. At the moment I’m in touch with a few campgrounds I might want to work for. Fingers crossed I’ll finally find something now!🤞🏼 I enjoyed the weather again today but a little too much as I got a little sunburn… Woops! Especially my upper legs are a bit red but my lower legs aren’t so that looks funny! No idea how I did that… I roasted potatoes with veggies and then called with a friend from the Netherlands which was really nice!


August 24th: Berry Springs!💦

Today I woke up early again and did my morning workout and the sunset was very pretty this morning! After that I took a shower and I made a banana bread! Yum! It worked out pretty well even though I didn’t have all the stuff and I had to make it in the hostel but they had some things I needed so that was perfect! After that I went to the lagoon and walked around a bit while waiting on a call. And… Guess what?! I finally got a job!!!! Yay!! I’m gonna work at a very remote campground (2 hours from the city) as an all rounder (bartender, kitchenhand, housekeeping etc). I’m sooo excited! Finally a routine again and my own room after sharing a room and sleeping in hostels for 4,5 months! I literally can’t wait! This afternoon I got invited to go to Berry Springs with another Dutch girl named Suzan and 2 girls from the UK and Germany who stayed at the same hostel as her. It was soooo pretty! The water was very clear and bright turquoise! Love it! So many fishes!🐠


August 25th: Litchfield National Park😍

Today I went for a shorter run as I was going camping last minute again! This time Suzan invited me to join her to go to Litchfield National park! So coolll! Really wanted to go there anyways so I was so happy! I invited my roomie as wel and she loved she could join. We quickly bought a sleeping bag for her at Kmart and then we left to our first stop in Litchfield: Walker Creek. Here we did a little hike and then we drove to Tolmer Falls to go for our first swim! So nice!! Then we drove to the Florence falls and Wangi Falls and they were so gorgeous! Florence falls are my favorite so far!! So beautiful these two water falls! The water is cold but so refreshing and healing! On the way to the camp ground (Zebra Stone) we stopped at the Burley Rockhole pools which were cool and at the Magnetic Termite mounds made by the termites and that was cool to see as well and comparable to the once I saw in Kakadu National Park! What a lovely day! The night ended with a gorgeous sunset but we saw a wild fire pretty close to us unfortunately and that was a little scary!!! But luckily it was under control we read on the internet!


August 26th: Back in Darwin for one night!

Friday morning I woke up with the birds and because I normally don’t sleep well in a tent anyways, I decided to go for a run! The sunrise was absolutely stunning! When I got back my friends were still sleeping but after half an hour Suzanne woke up and not much later Daniëla as well. We had breakfast and then drove in the direction of Darwin as Suzanne wanted to make her way to Kakadu today as she only had a few weeks left for the West Coast. When we got back into Darwin I checked in at the hostel and went to the lagoon. Later I met Kim here and we chilled there for a bit I also met the other two girls who went to Berry springs with Suzanne and me the other day! I’m very excited for tomorrow as I’m finally going camping alone!!


August 27th: Plans changed!!!

Today I went for a run again and did a workout at the fitness playground and I stored half of my luggage as I only needed a few things and my camping gear because I’m going camping alone tonight! I mean- that was the plan… But, what is a plan nowadays? Something you change all the time? Right?! I posted on Facebook a few days avondd someone was ging to Alice springs and wanted to rent a car to go to Uluru but no one answered so I decided to go camping in Mataranka. But this morning I got a message from a German guy in Alice springs who said he wanted to rent a car as well.. So I talked with the bus driver and luckily I was able to take the bus all the way to Alice springs I’m sooooo excited! I’ll still go camping alone on the way back tho! But Omg! Uluru is gonna be insane!! But for now- first have to survive 22 hours on the bus..


August 28th: Made it to Alice Springs!

This morning I finally made it to Alice Springs! YAY! I met Fin (the German guy) at his hostel near the bus stop and together we talked a while to get to know each other and to make a plan. Then we went to the information point to ask for available cars as that was the best option because other companies charge extra for every km above 200 KM and we definitely needed much more KMS because uluru was still 5/6 hours drive! Luckily they got since Toyota available for us in an hour so we walked there and then picked it up. I rented it cause I had my international license and I was super excited to drive in Australia and also for my first self-driving road trip! Omg! It felt absolutely amazing driving here! The nature is absolutely gorgeous and I couldn’t believe my eyes when we finally got to Uluru! We walked around a bit and went to the sunset point and lots of people were waiting for the special moment- the golden hour in Uluru! Insane! After sunset we made our way to Ayer’s rock Resort where we actually wanted to camp ground the night but we figured out it was pretty expensive so we sneaked in to use the toilets and kitchen quick and then we left to the 24-hour rest stop area as this was a free camp spot. We met a lovely French couple there who offered us to sleep in their roof top tent as they slept in there car which had a bed etc inside. Soo nice of them!! Love it!!😍


August 29th: Kata-Tjuta & Kings Canyon!🤩

This morning we woke up early all together to watch the sunrise at Uluru sunrise view point. This was gorgeous!! But I definitely preferred the sunset as the colors are prettier then. After we watched the sunrise with hè French couple, Fin and I left to the Olgas. This was another mountain / gorge and valley and it was beautiful! We walked through the gorge a bit and took lots of pics and then we drove to kings canyon. To our surprise we met the French couple here again and we decided to do the runways together! It was very pretty! It was hot outside and the hike was very steep and challenging  at the beginning but later it was much easier! What a view! Insane! It kinda reminded me of the Grand Canyon and Zion in the USA! After the hike we went to the sunset viewing point and here we had dinner at the campground as well. After that it was time for Fin and me to head back towards Alice springs as we have to return the car tomorrow morning. The French couple wanted to join us and camp together so we could stay in their rooftop tent one more night. Amazing!! Really appreciate it and they’re so nice!! Uluru- you were absolutely stunning!!!


August 30th: What an amazing trip!

Today it was time to return the car again already… But wow, what a wonderful trip! Fin and I woke up early to leave at 7 AM latest as we had to return the rental car and Fin’s bus to Adelaide was leaving at 10:30. I drove us to Alice Springs and the drive was pretty smooth until we almost got to the city and got stuck in a traffic jam… After waiting for about half an hour we could finally move on again and luckily we still made it on time. The hostel (YHA) allowed us to leave our stuff there for a bit until We would leave so Fin asked me if I wanted to drive him to the grocery store and back quick and after that I returned the car. I put my running clothes on so I could go for a run on the way back and explore the city. There’s not much to see in Alice Springs, but it was very nice to run around and visit some of its highlights like Anzac hill and Telegraph park etc. Don’t know how, but I ran half a marathon in total and felt great afterwards. I went to some stores and took a shower at the hostel and then I needed to get ready for my camping trip… My first lonely camping trip! Super excited! My bus left at 5:30 PM and will take about 15 hours I think! Wish me luck!


August 31st: First time camping alone!

This morning at 8:30 I finally arrived in Mataranka Homestead! So happy to finally be here! I immediately dropped my stuff at the restaurant kitchen cause the reception wasn’t opened yet and then I went for a run to stretch my legs. After this I jumped in the Thwrmal pools at the campground. They were pretty warm! So not a refresher unfortunately but still very nice! Later I paid at the reception and put up my tent. Better don’t say how long it took to set that up as you’re meant to do it with two people because of the sticks😂 But I made it yay! Later I cooked some leftovers and watched a man singing for a bit and then I watched the stars and went to bed. Tomorrow I’m heading back to Darwin for one night and after that my next adventure is starting- I’m gonna work at a remote campground for 2 months! So excited!!!


September 1st: Back to Darwin!

Today it was time to head back to Darwin. In the morning I woke up early to go for a run and then took a very quick shower and packed all my stuff. I just got ready in time for the bus I thought so I stressed a bit but luckily it came 10 mins late. We had one stop for lunch in Katherine and then we went straight to Darwin with a few drop offs on the way. I did some groceries in Katharine because I won’t be able to do groceries at the camping I’m gonna work at. The owners go to town usually at least once a week to get groceries for everyone. So I decided to buy some more stuff. The reception at the hostel I booked was re-opening at 5:30 so when I arrived at 4 I couldn’t check in yet and just had to leave my stuff there without anyone watching it… But I was going to meet Jadene at the Sunset Markets today! I also met an English girl named Katie who I invited to join us as well. It was so much fun!! And the sunset was just beautiful!!😍


September 2nd: Ready for the next adventure!

Today it’s time for a next adventure! Like mentioned already- I’m gonna work at a very remote campground named ‘Douglas-Daly Holiday Park’. I’ll work here as an allrounder but mainly bartender. It’ll be super easy as we dont have any tap beer or cocktails! I’ll also be a kitchen hand -and do check-ins and do some housekeeping sometimes so that’s great! Love various jobs! I’m pretty sure I’m gonna love it there even though it’s very remote and I won’t be able to go anywhere unless someone takes me somewhere… Let’s go for it! At 11:30 Leanne (one of my new bosses together with her Partner Tony) picked me up. On the way to the park we talked a lot and she made me feel like home right away. Thanks so much for that Leanne! She’s so welcoming and nice! We picked up the mail as they do this for all the people in Douglas-Daly as it’s so remote. Everyone can pick up their mail at the campground. When we got there I went to my cabin right away to drop off my stuff and later I went to the pool for a bit and got to know everyone else. It was pizza night tonight so it was pretty busy. I heard Friday nights are the busiest as everyone has weekend then. Kinda weird for me as I’m used to bush Sundays but apparently it’s Friday here! My colleagues seem all very nice! The next couple of days I’ll share my cabin with Mariel from Argentina but she’ll leave on Wednesday and then it’s all for myself! Can’t wait to have my own cabin after almost 5 months of sharing bedrooms! My other colleagues, a couple from Argentina named Mariela and Sebastian, seem soooo sweet as well! Talked with them for a while already and there’s another girl named Tiana as well but she works on the Turf farm most of the times and is friends with Leanne and Tony’s daughter. Tomorrow is my first workday!!


September 3rd: First Workday at Douglas-Daly Park!🤩

Saturday I HD my first workday at Douglas-Daly Holiday Park! We work with shifts here and today I worked from 7AM till 12 PM and then from 5PM till close (during week around 9 and on weekends around 11). I worked with Mariel today and she showed me everything. Of course everyone who knows me knows I’m definitely a morning person so getting up early is not a big deal at all! But then you also probably know I love to work out in the morning… so idk how to fix that problem yet but probably Im gonna wake up 5:30 every time I start at 7 so I can do a workout in my room… I also figured out there’s a whole bushcamp area along the daly river which is also wonend by Leanne and Tony, (my bosses). Later this afternoon Tony showed me around which was very Nice! There’s so many beautiful creeks and there are Arches here creatief by rocks. Beautiful! But dont think I’d go swimming because of the crocs… I also met some of the locals today already and Leanne and Tony very kindly presented me to everyone else. So sweet! I feel like home here already! And my cabin is amazing!!


September 9th: First work week done!✅

My first work week is done already! Crazy how fast that went! The locals know my name already and I know theirs as well! I also know from some people what they usually order already so that’s funny! I’m in the middle of knowhere but there’s beautiful places and wonderful and lovely people around me which is all I need! My body is not quite used to the heat yet but I still try to go running so my body can get used to it easier. Running in the middle of the day is maybe not the best option, but at least I can jump in the pool after that! It’s around 37 degrees already and that’s not even the beginning of the wet season yet! I’m a little worried about it but as long as I can handle it I’ll do it! I’m sad Mariel left and Seb and Mariela are leaving next weekend already! So sad! Then it will just be me end the new cook who’s 53 and she’s arriving tomorrow. I’m excited to meet her and hope and think she’s buds! Tonight I watched a movie with Mariela and Seb and Tiana and that was so much fun!



Comments