First month in Australia!🤩
Finally time to make one of my dreams come true! Going to Australia has been on my bucket list ever since I started traveling. Totally the other side of the world, even further than the USA! It should be wonderful there I thought. Now I can finally see this with my own eyes! In this blog you’ll read everything about my trip in Australia! Hope you’ll enjoy reading it!
(April 17th): Let’s get ready to go!✈️
Time to get ready for my first backpacking trip! I’m so excited! Only 2 weeks ago I told my parents about this plan as I wasn’t sure whether I could go or not. They were so happy for me and very surprised as well! The only thing was that my flight would be at 7:00 AM from Düsseldorf so we had to wake up very early on Easter! Luckily my parents didn’t really care about that! My first flight was to Athens which was a 3-hour flight. Nothing compared to the next flight to Singapore which would be 12 hours… I was a little nervous for my covid test in Athens as my throat hurted a bit, but luckily I got tested negative! A few hours later I boarded for my flight to Singapore which was a very long and exhausting flight!
Ready for the next adventure!
(April 18th): Finally in Sydney!😍
In Singapore I only had a one hour layover which was just half an hour in the end due to our delay in Singapore. There the security asked me to empty my whole backpack which was very annoying but luckily nothing was wrong. I was so happy when I finally arrived in Sydney at 8 PM! And I can’t explain how happy I was to finally take a shower! Man I felt so gross after nog being able to shower for 2 days.. I met some other people at the hotel as this is a hotel / hostel especially for backpackers. Everyone’s so nice here! I’m excited to see the city by day light tomorrow!
| Finally made it to Sydney! |
(April 19th): Exploring Sydney!🌆
Today I woke up very early already, probably because of the jetlag. At 6 I just decided to wake up and get ready to go for a run. I ran to Darling Harbor, Circle K, The Opera house and the botanic garden and Hyde park. When I got back the other girls in my room were awake and we talked a bit. Then I got a shower and got my Australian Simcard. After that I tried to apply for a bank account and I hope to get it this week! In the afternoon I met a guy I was talking to on Facebook as there is a big group with Dutchies in Australia and we figured out we both arrived last night! We went to Bondi beach and later did the walk from Bondi to Coogee Beach which was nice! When I came back to the hostel I met the other girls and we went to the Trivia night at the bar down the hostel together! We even won the quiz and got $50 to spend there so we bought some cocktails! It was a great day today!
New city, new friends!💗
(April 20th): Blue Mountains hike!🏔
Today I went to the Blue Mountains with one German girl I met stage the hostel and one Dutch girl I met in the USA as an au pair. It wasn’t the easiest bike as it had many stairs up and down, but it was so worth it! We hiked 17 kilometers in total and i walked 27,6 kilometers today in total as I also went on a run in the morning. The mountains were amazing! Such a wide view! It was sunny but not too hot today so perfect hiking weather! After our hike we finally had some lunch in Leura at 3:30 (after hiking for 5 hours straight!) and then we went back to the hostel and my friend went back to her host family. Tonight we had a free wine, beer & cheese night at the hostel and later a foam party and this was so much fun!! I also booked my tour for Tasmania and I’m really excited for this!!
Blue Mountains hike with Sandra and Dara!
(April 21th): ‘Relax day’🌺
Today I had a kinda relax day as it was raining from 2 in the afternoon. In the morning it was very nice outside tho! I ran to Centennial park which was lovely! And I opened my bank account here. Later I picked up the 6 voucher everyone here can get in NSW due to covid and they are worth a total of $150! Crazy!! But very nice tho! Later I met with a Dutch girl I was talking with on Facebook as she is also in that group and that was very nice! In the evening we had dinner together in Surry Hills at an Indian restaurant with my room mates and 2 other people too! Total of 9 people! It was lovely and very delicious! Later we went to side bar for a bit but I was so tired I really needed sleep at 00:30!
Exploring Sydney!
(April 22nd): Rainy day!🌧
Today it was raining all day unfortunately. However, I didn’t really care about that as I had to pack my stuff for Tasmania where I’m going tomorrow. I’m staying one more night in Sydney and tomorrow morning is my flight to Tasmania. In the afternoon I met with two Dutch girls which was awesome! We had lunch together and walked through the city a bit when it stopped raining for a bit. This morning I also called a Dutch girl who’s in Adelaide and were planning on doing a roadtrip together! Very excited for this! We might do a road trip from Adelaide to Melbourne over the Great Ocean road! Byt first, let’s go to Tasmania!!
Love Sydney!
(April 23rd): Tassie, here I come!🤩
Today it was time to leave Sydney and fly to Tasmania! This morning I went for a nice run and when I came back I got some breakfast and then I headed towards the airport. Here I still had plenty of time so I decided to try to FaceTime my host kids in the USA as it is 14 hours earlier there. They answered luckily and it was so great seeing them for a bit! I miss them so much! After changing from gates 3 times, everyone finally entered the right plane 20 mins behind schedule… Luckily the flight was a little shorter than planned, but I was stills as I arrived pretty late as the sun would go down at 5:30 PM already! I still enjoyed my first day in Tassie by exploring the city and visiting the Salamanca Market place and botanical Garden. The sunset was very pretty! Tomorrow my tour will start at 7:00 AM! Excited to meet the rest of the group!
welcome to Tasmania!
(April 24th): Mount Field & Lake St Claire⛰
Today my 5-day tour through Tasmania started. At 7:00 the bus picked me up and most people (23 in total) were there already. Everyone seemed very nice! And our tour guide seemed amazing! He’s from Adelaide and has been working in Tasmania since last year November I think. We first drove to a few other hotels to pick up some other people and then we drove to New Norfolk for breakfast. After that we made our way to Mount Field to die à bike which was beautiful! Then we drove to Lake St Claire, the deepest lake of Australia! (250 meters)! That was very beautiful! After this we drove to Franklin-Goedon Lake where we could drink crystal clear water out of The river! And we went to Burberry Lake and Queenstown. We ended in Strahan where we stayed at an older man’s Lodge / Nice hostel. His name was ‘Bumpy’ as everyone could call and he is such an amazing person!
Tour day 1: Mount Field & Lake St Clair
(April 25th): Boat Tour & Show🛳
Today I woke up early and went for a run as we didn’t have to start at 7:00 today. It was very nice to explore the city (Strahan). After this I took a quick shower and then we left to the harbor. From there half of the group chose to do the Gordon River Cruise, (including myself) and the rest would go on a hike. It was very cloudy unfortunately, but not cold. On the boat it was very windy though! But so nice! We went to Sarah Island and learned a lot about the history from there. We also got a great lunch on the boat with smoked salmon, salad, bread etc! After the tour we met the rest and went back to Bumpy’s. At 5:30 we went to a show called ‘The ship that never was’. It’s the longest playing show in Australia. It’s more like a comedy & participation show but it was funny! When we got back to Bumpy’s we made a camp fire and drank something together! So sad to leave this place tomorrow!!
Tour day 2: Gordon River Cruise & show
(April 26th): Cradle Mountain hike!🚶🏼♀️
Today we left at 7:00 again! Man, sucks I can’t go running then cause it’s so dark at 5/5:30 still… I prefer running when I know the sunrise is soon or during sunrise. But today we were going for a hike so I was very excited for that as I wanted to do the most difficult one of course! On our way we had a beautiful sunrise and I was lucky I could sit in the front of the bus! So I could record it! The hike at Cradle Mountain turned out to be totally fine, only some chain climbing! After the hike we went to Launceston where we would stay for one night. We had dinner and then we went to an Irish pub for a trivia night and this was so much fun! I joined a little later as I decided to cook a curry with another girl, but it was still fun to join for a bit!
Tour day 3: Cradle Mountain hike!
(April 27th): Bay of Fires & Wallabies
Today we left at 7:00 again and started the day with a hike along the river close to our stay from the night before. This was very nice! After that we had a long drive to Saint Helens, the biggest town of East Tasmania right before we went to the Bay of Fires. The weather sucked today but it still looked very pretty and the water was clear! In the send I spotted a Blue Bottle, a very small blue jellyfish that looks like a sea star. After this we went to Nature) world Wild life where we could pet and feed Wallabies, spot Tasmanian Devils and parrots and other birds. This was very cool but unfortunately mostly outside so we all got soaking wet! After this we drove to Blow Hole where we could literally catch the humongous waves hitting the rocks. Beautiful to see! Even though I think it was prettier in Curaçao! Probably because of the weather! Then we drove to our stay in Bicheno. Turned out we had the whole house for ourselves so that was very nice! Tomorrow is the last day of the tour already! So sad!! But I’m also very excited to do a roadtrip!
Tour day 4: Bay of Fires & Wallabies!
(April 28th): 5th & Final day in Tassie!🥲
Today was our final day of tour already! Can’t believe the time flew by so fast! I had such an amazing week with all those wonderful 22 other people on this tour! Today we did the Wineglass Bay hike which was 1000 steps down and then back up. It was amazing! I did the total hike in about 40 mins, exclusive the stop at the beach. Usually it takes about 2 hours to do this hike so we were very fast! The view was stunning despite the foggy weather. After this we went to a winery where you could taste some wine. I decided to take pictures with another girl instead as I don’t really love wine a lot and it was still early afternoon. Next it was time to drive back towards Hobart, the capital of Tasmania and the beginning point from our tour. Here our tour came to an end and also for our tour guide it was the last tour of the season. I’m so glad I’ve met wonderful people along the way and saw incredible new places! Excited to go to Adelaide tomorrow and start the road trip to Melbourne over the great ocean road on Tuesday!
Tour day 5: Last day, Wineglass Bay hike!
(April 29th): Bye Tassie, hello Adelaide!🙃
Today it was time to say goodbye to the beautiful Tassie! In the morning I went for a run to see the last beautiful sunrise in Tasmania and then I took a quick shower and got ready to head to the airport. I went to the airport together with a girl I met during the tour. She’s also going to Adelaide but with a different airline. At 1:00 PM I arrived in Adelaide and luckily my hostel was only 15 mins from the airport and right in center city! I dropped my stuff and walked around the whole day. I especially loved the Botanic Garden! I could stay around there forever! I’m obsessed with all the green around me! I also did some groceries again and then went back for dinner. Apparently people who work here cook 4 days a week for everyone who’s staying here! Amazing!! We had curry today which was nice and we had sangria!🤩
(April 30th): Meeting Melania!🙋🏼♀️
Today I woke up a little later finally! I decided to go for a run as I absolutely love the botanic garden so I went around the whole park. During my run I made a stop to call my colleagues as they had an employee party there. I miss them so much and felt a little sad I couldn’t be there! But it was great to see them for a bit. After that I took a quick shower and got ready and then I met Melania, the Dutch girl I’m gonna travel the Great Ocean road with! It was so nice to meet her and we had such a great afternoon! We walked around the city and then took the train to where she lives in Seaford Meadows and it’s beautiful there! The weather was lovely and the beach was so pretty! We had some fish & chips there and went to some vineyards which were pretty cool! After that she had to work unfortunately so I went back to the city. I called my grandma as it was her 81st birthday today! After that I talked with some girls in my room and we’re planning to go to Mount Lofty tomorrow and to a few other parks near there so I’m super excited for that!!
(May 1st): Mount Lofty!🏔
Today I went to Mount Lofty together with two of my room Kates and one of their friends! Yesterday we were talking a but about our plans for today and it turned out we all actually wanted to go to Cleland park. The girl from Korea invites the Brazilian girl and me to go there with her and her friend. We didn’t know each other at all! But we had soooo much fun! I first went for a run in the morning and took a shower afterwards and then we got some breakfast and took the bus to Mount Lofty as one of my friends told me that was really nice. And she was definitely right! The view from the mountain was beautiful! We walked to Cleland Wildlife par but I decided not to pay again to go inside as I just went to a similar park in Tasmania. When I was walking outside there were soooo many kangaroos! Some came right in front of me when I didn’t expect it! Crazy! When I used the restroom, I sneaked in the park and watched the sleeping koalas for a few minutes. So cute!!
(May 2nd): Beach Please!🌞
Today I felt like I really needed a relax day as I’ve been doing so many things and hikes the last 2 weeks! I went for a run in the morning and ran 20 K! Then I took a shower and had breakfast and I packed all my stuff to check out. I went to a few stores to get the las things we needed for the roadtrip tomorrow and then I took the train to Melania’s house. She was away with her sister for the day as she would leave tomorrow. She went kayaking with dolphins! So cool! I went to the beach close to her and it was very lovely. Later they picked me up and we packed a few things and then we watched the sunset at the beach! They are all so nice! Her sister and her boyfriend are very nice too! Also they are Dutch! We had Dutch pancakes for dinner! I’m soooo excited to finally go tomorrow!
(May 3nd): Let the journey begin!!
Yassss! Finally starting the roadtrip! Soooo exciting!! Melania and I woke up really early to pack the last few things and get ready to go. Our first stop was Bordertown (3 h drive). Here we had some lunch and relaxed for a few mins. Then we drove to Pink Lake. Wow! I have never seen something like that in my life before but it was incredible! A whole lake full of salt and totally PINK!!! Amazing!! After this we had to go to a campground to stay for the night but it was already getting dark… and in Aussie, it’s dangerous when you drive at night because of all the kangaroos that jump right in front of your car… But it was getting dark and we had to drive… I am so proud of the way Melania kept her focus and tried not to freak out whenever we saw one! We felt so relieved when we finally entered the campground! We saw a school bus and a few other cars do luckily we weren’t alone! We even joined the campfire of the school class which was amazing!
(May 4th): The Grampians
Today we went to the Grampians! It was drizzling a bit in the morning unfortunately and it was foggy, but the hike was still very beautiful! The view was insane from up the lookout points! We drove to the Mackenzie Falls and these were so pretty!! We did a little photo shoot there which was fun! The sun was shining bright so luckily the weather totally changed! We went to a few more lookout points and then drove further to Warrnhambool where we would stay for the night! This is a nice little town at the ocean! We cooked some pasta and washed some of our clothes and then we were ready to go to sleep!
(May 5th): Great Ocean Road!!
Today we saw a lot! We Finally Really started the Great Ocean Road! I started this morning with a run after a very cold night in the car. I don't know Why, but I Just couldn’t sleep in the car because of the cold. I ran to the beach but didn’t spot any whales unfortunately. Afterwards I took a quick shower and then we left! Our first stop was the Bay of Islands. What an amazing first stop! Incredibly high waves that hit the rocks. We then drove to the Grotto which was amazing! It was literally a rock in the shape of a cave and you could see the ocean through it! Then we drove to the London Bridge and the famous Twelve Apostles. To be honest I think Bay of Island is much nicer than the Twelve apostles! The view is so much better than just seeing (not even) ‘12 rocks’. After this we decided to drive to the Beauchamp Falls. We were so happy we made that decision cause those falls were so beautiful! After this we were very tired and it was getting dark alresdy and we still needed to find a place to sleep. Unfortunately every campground reception was closed in Torquay and we asked some locals and they recommended a spot at the beach where we could sleep in the car. So that’s what we did but it was so freezing! It was the third night in the car and I just couldn’t do it anymore..
(May 6th): Melbourne & Hot springs!
Today I woke up really early again as I didn’t sleep more than half an hour because I was so cold! I decided to just go for a walk as the sunset was so pretty! Later when Melania woke up we had some tea and went to a mall. After that we drove to the Great Ocean sign to take a picture and then we drove to Melbourne. We needed a relax day so we went to Peninsula Hot springs which is 1,5 hours from Melbourne. It was amazing! After that we drove to our hostels. Melania wanted to stay in a more luxe hostel so we stayed in separate hostels but only 5 mins walk from each other. In the evening we went out with a polish girl I met here and we had so much fun! I was so excited to finally sleep in a bed again!
(May 7th): Let’s explore Melbourne!🤩
Last night I FINALLY slept so well! Even though I got home at 3, I still slept quite long! Woke up at 11 finally for the first time in my whole life! I wanted to explore the city so I ran literally to every highlight and ran 20 km in total! I went to the botanic Gardens, the crown, queens bridge, queens market and Victoria market, Chinatown etc! When I came back I called my sister as I miss her so much and it was great to talk to her for a bit! After that I took a shower and later I met with Melania at an Irish pub to close our road trip together! The polish girl and Belgium girl from my hostel joined us too and later when Melania left I was talking with two guys from Melbourne and we had so much fun! They kept buying drinks for me and the polish girl! It was a great night!
(May 8th): Last day in Melbourne🥲
Today I went running along the beach again in the morning and after that I had free pancakes in my hostel! This is a ritual almost every hostel has! So fun! After that I burned those calories again by walking to the city. I did some shopping and later my polish friend Alexandra came too. There were many events today! We walked through Victoria Market and later we went to a big Vegan Market which was great! We tried a lot of vegan things and even got a falafel package for free! Later when we went back to the hostel I called my mom for Mother’s Day. Miss them all!! Tomorrow I’m heading to Mansfield in the morning and I’m very excited to see my new home for the next weeks! Hope I’ll like it there! But I’ll see! I do know I love working with children so I should be fine!
Comments
Post a Comment